Our vision for PE and School Sport
To create an exciting, enjoyable and inspirational environment for PE, Sport and fitness, where children are given opportunities to try new skills, be challenged and achieve, giving them a lifelong enthusiasm.
What is PE and School Sport funding?
The government has provided additional funding of over £150 million per annum since 2013 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture and Media and sport- will be allocated to primary school headteachers.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
What is the purpose of PE and School Sport funding?
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of physical education (PE), physical activity and sport you offer.
We use the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE, physical activity and sport activities that your school already offers
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
At Tintwistle we use the premium to secure improvements in the following key indicators:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity (1)
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement (2)
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport (3)
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils (4)
- increased participation in competitive sport (5)
How much PE and School Sport funding will we receive?
Allocations for the academic year 2021/2022 are calculated using the number of pupils aged 5 and above as recorded on the January 2022 census. As we are a school with over 17 pupils we will receive £16,000 plus £10 per eligible pupil. Our school we will receive £16,820 to spend on improving our provision for PE and School Sport.
What impact has this funding had at Tintwistle Primary School in the last year?
We have been awarded the PLATINUM School Games Award!
- 89% of children at Tintwistle attended more clubs compared to 81% last year.
- A wider selection of out of school activities are being undertaken by pupils at our school in the local area including golf, rugby, karate and tumbling.
- More children than ever attending after school clubs!
- We have had an increase in children enjoying P.E lessons with 83% saying they always enjoy PE and 17% saying sometimes.
- The words that children are using to describe PE are positive again this year with fun once again being the most popular word. Interesting and tiring being the next two most common words (looking at being an active school this is the type of word choice we want!).
- 73% of children, which is a massive increase, have represented the school at competitions, multi-skills events and dance afternoons, which is fantastic!
- More involvement and activity at lunchtimes and playtimes.
Below you will find our action plan for the PE and School Sport funding. This plan is under constant review and will be changed to reflect the needs of our school.